What Do Children of Divorce Want for the Holidays?
Posted By Chris Givens || Nov 12, 2010No, this is not about the hot new toy or doll this holiday season. Rather, how do children of divorce want to spend their time at the holidays.
A book about what children of divorce feel was discussed in a recent Huffington Post Divorce blog.
Some to-dos from the article:
- Plan ahead with specific dates and times and narrate what's going to happen
- Be flexible about the plan
- Involve the children in planning, but the adults should make the ultimate decisions
- Create new traditions
Some don't-dos from the article:
- No adult meltdowns
- No amateur private detective work on the other parent's household
- When kids volunteer information about the other parent's household, do not overreact
- No surprises
- Coordinate gifts and consider pitching in to purchase a bigger gift
Family law cases are stressful enough for children. These tips could help ensure that they enjoy the holidays to the fullest.