Tampa, Florida



When spouses divorce, agreements and court orders are established regarding parental responsibility, child custody, visitation, child support, and perhaps alimony. As time passes, the circumstances that existed at the time of the original divorce may change and this may make it appropriate to modify the terms of the original agreement or court order.

In the case of child support, if one or both parties experience a significant increase or decrease in income which results in a child support number that is at least 15% (or at least $50.00) more or less than the original child support amount, then the court may modify the amount of child support upon the filing of the appropriate request by either party.

Likewise, in the case of alimony, although there are no specific guidelines, if either former spouse has had a substantial change of financial circumstances, such as the loss of a job or an increase or decrease in income or needs, it may be appropriate to modify the amount of alimony payments or the length of time payments are made.

With regard to child custody, courts are generally hesitant to easily modify the primary residence of minor children. However, if there has been a substantial change in circumstances after the entry of the original custody order and a change in custody would be in the best interests of the children, the courts may modify custody and visitation arrangements.

Contact a Tampa family law attorney at Givens Givens Sparks to discuss modification of your divorce agreement or order.

Get In Touch

At Givens Givens Sparks, your family is our family. As such, we promise to fight for each client and voraciously protect their best interests. Facing a family law issue? Get in touch with us to learn how we can help!

  • Please enter your name.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.