Due to COVID-19, we will be conducting all consultations either via video chat, phone, or email. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions!

Child Custody

Child Custody Lawyer in Tampa

One of the most emotional and contentious issues in a divorce can be child custody. The children’s welfare is the most important part of any divorce, and we only want the best for your children. At Givens Law Group, we are fully dedicated to helping parents navigate the transition from married life to single life. We understand that your children’s well-being is very important to you. We will stand by you throughout your divorce proceedings to help give you peace of mind that your children will be cared for in the manner that you feel is appropriate.

Since October 1, 2008, Florida courts have followed a revised statute in determining issues regarding minor children in dissolution of marriage cases. This statute prescribes that all cases with minor children have a parenting plan. At a minimum, a parenting plan will be required to describe:

  • The parents will share and be responsible for the daily tasks associated with the upbringing of the child
  • The time-sharing schedule arrangements specifies the time the child will spend with each parent
  • A designation of which parent will be responsible for any and all forms of health care, school-related matters, other activities
  • The methods and technologies for communication with the child.

If you have questions or concerns about your custody situation, please contact one of our Tampa custody attorneys today.

Need help from a Tampa Custody Attorney?

Parents are expected to consider the best interests of their child when developing a parenting plan. The court looks primarily at how well the parenting plans address the child’s needs, while comparing it to the parents’ wishes. Florida’s statutes states,

For purposes of establishing or modifying parental responsibility and creating, developing, approving, or modifying a parenting plan, including a time-sharing schedule, which governs each parent's relationship with his or her minor child and the relationship between each parent with regard to his or her minor child, the best interest of the child shall be the primary consideration. Determination of the best interests of the child shall be made by evaluating all of the factors affecting the welfare and interests of the minor child.

When a court makes a decision about custody, the court will look at many varying factors of your family’s life, such as:

  • The best interests of the child
  • Capacity of each parent to continue a close parent-child relationship and honor the arrangement
  • Capacity of each parent to act upon the needs of the child as opposed to the needs of the parent
  • Reasonable preference of the child (for older children only)
  • Mental and physical health of both parents
  • Moral fitness of both parents
  • Developmental stages of the child and the ability of each parent to meet those needs
  • Ability of both parents to maintain a substance abuse-free environment for the child

At Givens Law Group, our child custody attorneys can help you traverse the complicated arena of divorce. If you are confused about how to approach the custodial aspect of your divorce, you need to speak with a qualified professional who is familiar with Florida family law and child custody laws. Our firm has decades of collective experience. We work hard to ensure our clients are satisfied and receive the outcome they desire.

Contact a Tampa child custody lawyer at Givens Law Group to schedule your consultation today.

Our Philosophy

What Our Family Brings to The Table
  • Our family of attorneys is dedicated to our clients and believe they should all be supported like family.

  • We believe that all family law issues should be resolved in a fair and timely manner. 

  • Our firm uses our decades of experience to provide your family with the knowledge and expertise that you deserve.

Our Badges of Recognition

Get in Touch

At Givens Law Group, your family is our family. As such, we promise to fight for each client and voraciously protect their best interests.
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.