Tampa Same-Sex Divorce Lawyer
Helping LGBTQ+ Couples Navigate Family Law Matters
If you are considering divorce, you deserve a capable divorce attorney experienced with the ever-changing laws surrounding LGBTQ+ marriages and divorce.
At Givens Law Group, our Tampa same-sex divorce lawyers have decades of collective experience. We are committed to securing you a beneficial outcome that will allow you to move on to the next phase of your life as comfortably as possible.
How Our LGBT Family Lawyers Can Help
If any of the following apply to you, we’re ready and waiting to help:
- You were married in Florida and are looking to pursue an annulment, divorce, or separation in-state.
- You were married outside of Florida but are looking to pursue an annulment, divorce, or separation in Florida.
- You were served divorce papers and reside in Florida.
- You were married in the United States and are seeking help with family law issues related to separation or divorce, including alimony, child custody, child support, etc.
Give us a call at (813) 328-6159 to speak with one of our Tampa same-sex divorce lawyers.
Does Florida Legally Recognize Same-Sex Divorce?
Yes, the state of Florida recognizes the divorce of same-sex couples.
Florida became the 36th state in America to legalize same-sex marriage on January 6, 2015 after a United States district court found that the state’s ban on same-sex marriage was unconstitutional. While a temporary stay was placed on the order, the United States Supreme Court denied an extension on December 19, 2014. As a result, same-sex divorce also became legal on January 6, 2015.
Key Issues in the Divorce Process
As of June 26, 2015, all couples in the United States have the same marriage rights, which means that all couples in the United States face similar legal issues when it comes to divorce.
Some of the most common and pressing issues any couple needs to consider during their divorce proceedings include:
- Alimony: Multiple factors are included when determining alimony payments, including the standard of living during the marriage, the amount of time married, the finances and assets of each party, etc.
- Child Custody: The court takes into account a variety of factors when deciding which parent will receive primary custody, including the moral and mental fitness of each parent, the ability of each parent to meet their child’s developmental needs, the child’s preference (in certain cases), etc.
- Child Support: In most cases, the parent who receives primary custody will also receive child support payments, but the amount they receive is determined by various factors, including day care, school payments, extracurricular activities, etc.
- Division of Property: Also known as equitable distribution, the court will take into account the length of the marriage, the contributions each spouse made to the marriage, and any contributions one spouse made to the other’s education or career among other factors when determining how property will be divided.
- Parenting Time and Visitation Rights: The courts have determined that in the vast majority of cases it’s beneficial for children to maintain a certain amount of contact with their cases which makes it incredibly rare for a parent to lose all visitation rights – the main point of contention is how much visitation time the non-custodial parent receives.
Hire a Qualified LGBT Family Law Attorney
No matter how complicated or contentious your divorce process becomes, the Tampa same-sex divorce attorneys at Givens Law Group are ready to fight for you and make sure you can secure the outcome you need.
Our attorneys have made a name for themselves as some of the most professional, ethical, and passionate legal professionals in the region. We’re ready to use our knowledge and experience to give you peace of mind during your divorce.
Contact us online to begin your case evaluation with one of our same-sex divorce attorneys in Tampa.
Our PhilosophyWhat Our Family Brings to The Table
Our family of attorneys is dedicated to our clients and believe they should all be supported like family.
We believe that all family law issues should be resolved in a fair and timely manner.
Our firm uses our decades of experience to provide your family with the knowledge and expertise that you deserve.