Contempt of Court

Contempt of Court in Florida

Are You Working To Enforce A Court Order?

Divorce agreements are legally binding documents that require each party to follow certain guidelines moving forwards. However, just because a court issues an order doesn’t mean that all parties will follow all of the terms outlined. In these cases, you may need to return to court to file a motion for civil contempt in order to ensure that receive everything you were granted in your divorce agreement.

Call us at (813) 328-6159 to speak with one of our attorneys today.

Fighting with a spouse or ex-spouse over family law issues can be incredibly difficult even in the most cordial of relationships, and can become almost impossible to handle when they refuse to even follow a court order. The attorneys at Givens Law Group have worked with thousands of clients since we first opened our doors, and we are ready to provide each new client we take on with the experienced and dedicated representation they need. Contact us today to learn what we can do for you.

Filing A Motion For Civil Contempt

The most common times an ex-spouse willfully ignores a court order are when children or money are involved. If you find yourself in this situation, filing a motion for civil contempt may be your best option moving forwards. The steps involved in the process include:

  • Explain Your Issues: The first thing you need to do in your motion is to outline what your ex-spouse has done or is doing that violates the court order. Whether they’re denying you time with your child during scheduled parenting time, withholding alimony or child support, or anything else, you need to lay out the situation to the court.
  • Serve Papers: In addition to filing your motion with the court, you need to serve your ex-spouse with the motion to give them notice of the legal action you are taking.
  • Return to Court: The court will set a hearing date once you’ve filed your papers. After this, you need to serve notice of the hearing to your ex-spouse and prepare to prove your case in court. It is your responsibility to provide sufficient evidence that your ex-spouse has failed to comply with the court order. This includes proving that you have a court order approved and signed by a judge, your ex-spouse had the ability to comply with the court order, and that your ex-spouse failed to comply.

Tell us all about your case through our online form.

Hire A Law Firm You Can Trust

At Givens Law Group, our lawyers have decades of experience handling these types of cases, and have worked with thousands of families and individuals to help them fight for the legal outcome they deserve. If you are fighting to enforce a court order, our team is ready to help you prepare a plan of action that will put you in the best position possible moving forwards. Call us at (813) 328-6159 to discuss your case over the phone today, or send us the details of your case through our online form.

Our Philosophy

What Our Family Brings to The Table
  • Our family of attorneys is dedicated to our clients and believe they should all be supported like family.

  • We believe that all family law issues should be resolved in a fair and timely manner. 

  • Our firm uses our decades of experience to provide your family with the knowledge and expertise that you deserve.

Our Badges of Recognition

Get in Touch

At Givens Law Group, your family is our family. As such, we promise to fight for each client and voraciously protect their best interests.
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.